St Bridget’s Church, Moresby
St Bridget’s Church church is located 1 ½ miles north of Whitehaven just to the seaward side of the main A595 road. It is a distinctive landmark and can be seen easily from the road (especially from the north).
- The church is a Grade II listed building.
Proximity to a known Roman settlement gives the church added significance. The simple 13th century chancel arch next to the church marks the continuity of occupation and worship on this site too. The church was built in 1823 by G Crauford, architect, and the chancel was added in 1885 in a remarkably convincing Georgian style. The rest of the interior (including a western gallery) is of 1885 too, but an octagonal medieval font still survives in the building. All the glass appears to be early 20th century.
Exterior: Ashlar on moulded plinth with corner pilasters, eaves band, and cornice; sill band to chancel. Blocking course to graduated slate roofs; stone copings and kneelers. The tower has a parapet with obelisk finials to corners. 4-bay nave with integral 3-stage west tower; 2-bay chancel. Symmetrical west front with central plank door and semicircular fanlight on ground floor of tower; vestry to left, baptistry to right. 2 rows of windows to nave, all round-headed. Chancel has 2 tall windows to either side and Venetian window to east end. Dragons to rainwater heads; decorative downpipes.
Interior: Porch with stairs up to 1885 western gallery which is supported on cast-iron columns with Gothic traceried spandrels. Semicircular chancel arch carried on Ionic responds; text board to either side. Late C19/early C20 stained glass to lower windows by Heaton, Butler, & Bayne (London). 1902 panelled reredos. 1885 square wooden pulpit by Simpson & Rich; decoratively carved with painted panels. Late C19 octagonal marble font in baptistry; font from medieval church (stone, with octagonal bowl) outside vestry. Pedimented marble memorial slab in baptistry, 1843 for Mary Ann Steward.